Event

Standard

Plan

Throughout the entire time I kept in contact with the girls and their parents through emails and occasionally telephone collecting and keeping a track of the details the whole time. (A record of these is in another folder)

The majority f our practises were held at the John Palmer Hall and the girls payed no extra money, as it took place during the time for our regular dance lessons. However in the 2 weeks leading up to the performance, with dress rehearsals, each girl was required to spend £5 extra to cope with the extended hours we used the hall. Fortunately no other extra practices were required, meaning that cost was kept to a minimum.

My advisor had arranged for costumes for my group and I to be sent over from india. However it was my job to distribute these and keep track of who had and hadn’t payed for the cost. They were all given red and yellow trousers and tails and it was up to them to arrange black leotards with a single matching accessory.

During the performance, props, such as rocks, were required. So with the permission of my advisor I asked the girls to come earlier for sessions in order to aid me in making them. I also asked each of them to pay £2.30 for the cost of any materials I bought.

The event was held at the Solihull Arts Complex. I organised for them to have a dressing room at close quarters to the stage, and during technical rehearsals when they should have been ready to perform and their stage positions. I also gave them details as to what they should do before and after the performance, such as when they should arrive ready and where they should wait to re-enter the audience, to ensure smooth running of the performance. In the afternoon, after all of them had arrived promptly, I checked their make-up and made sure there was no confusion.

Do

They had all been given the role of monkeys and to capture the mischief I had been given an Indian jive song. The first step was to choreograph the dance. However as soon as I started I found that I could not think of anything original yet simple for ease of teaching and co-ordination. To solve this I watched clippings of jive dances and found some steps that were easy to teach. I worked hard to make sure that the kind of steps changed according to the music to make the performance exiting. Throughout the choreography process I found it was easy to keep track of positions through diagrams and also video progress to ensure I didn’t forget.

The next part of the process was to teach the steps. The first thing I did was make a rough timetable so we would be done in time for the event. I then began teaching the steps and I was pleased that the students were picking up quickly. They were soon done with the learning. The next thing to do was polish the steps up the standard of the rest of the programme. I found I had to make some changes to make this possible but soon with some repetitive practising the steps were well coordinated and presented. Finally the girls who I was teaching had to portray the mischief in their roles which soon became easy and enjoyable for them.

Review

I realised after the performance that I should have contacted girls who had missed girls who had missed lessons, or were slow in picking up the steps, to give them some extra practise.

While teaching I found it was necessary to be flexible and open to changes to improve the performance with any new ideas for originality and co-ordination.

On the day, they all did very well, however I realised that more time could have gone into the overall organisation of things such as last minute costume preparation.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s